This year’s winner of the Kendal Mountain Photography Competition has been announced. The grand prize was won by photographer James Appleton for his entry ‘Big Night Out’ (pictured above), taken at the Svínafellsjökull Glacier in Iceland. The shot took him five years to capture.
The awards ceremony, presented by Danner footwear, was held on Saturday 18th November at Kendal Mountain Festival. The six category winners attended the event to find out which one of them had won the overall grand prize.
The 2017 category winners were:
– ‘The Pitch’ by Mark Burkey – Adventure in the Outdoors
– ‘Honey in the Snow’ by David Thexton – Fido on the Fells
– ‘Big Night Out’ by James Appleton – Mountain Landscapes
– ‘Running High’ by Natalie White – Smartphone – Friends in High Places
– ‘Southampton Docks’ by Joe McCarthy – Urban Outdoors
– ‘Birds Eye View’ by Charlotte Howie – Young Photographer Under 18 – Adventure on your Doorstep
Mark Burkey’s shot ‘The Pitch’ (pictured below) also won the People’s Choice Award.
James won a two night, half board stay for two at Danner’s Partner Hotel in Switzerland, plus two pairs of Danner boots.
Henry Iddon, Arts and Culture Officer for Kendal Mountain Festival, and judging panel member, commented: “We were delighted with the response to our call for entries to this year’s photography competition, the standard was high and the images reflected a wide range of activities and locations which was fantastic. Any of the shortlisted images could have won the grand prize – but we had to choose a winner and James’s image had an ethereal nature to it that made
you yearn to be in the outdoors.”