Phil Mickelson misses the Masters for the first time in 28 years

The six-time winner, who won his last three green jackets at the Masters in 2010, said last month he would Take “some time away” out of golf after being criticized for comments he made about the system of Saudi Arabia and the country Proposed new round.

Mickelson is officially listed as a “Former Non-Playing Champion” on the Masters website.

At the end of February, the 51-year-old apologized for his comments about the Saudi-backed breakaway golf tournament, saying they were unpublishable – a claim he was denied by the reporter who interviewed him – and shared out of context and without his consent.

The Saudi-backed Golf League is a proposed project that attempts to lure golfers away from the sport’s main tours – the PGA Tour and DP World Tour – with big financial offers.

Mickelson was quoted from a 2021 interview with author Alan Shipnock about his book, Phil: The Rip-Roaring Biography (and Unauthorized!) Once in a lifetime to reshape how the PGA Tour works.”

The American was also quoted as saying that “the Saudi money finally gave us (the players) that leverage” to be able to turn things around on the PGA.

Shipnuck quoted Mickelson as saying things demeaned Saudi Arabia in the area of ​​human rights and asserted that the kingdom had killed a journalist. Jamal Khashoggi.

Mickelson apologized for his “reckless” comments and said he would take a break from golf “to prioritize those I love most and work on being the man I want to be.”

A number of notable golfers, including Rory McIlroy, Dustin Johnson and Bryson DeChambeau, have confirmed their commitment to the PGA Tour since his comments, with Mickelson also losing a number of sponsors.

See also  NFL Draft: GM Chiefs Brett Fitch confirms Trent McDuffie of Washington as one of 18 "first-round" targets

The Masters tournament begins on April 7 with Hideki Matsuyama as the defending champion.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.